Fini Milena, MD
Medical Manager – General Surgery Area, Scientific Director
1989: Degree in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Bologna, final mark: 110/110.
- 1994: Specialization in Emergengy in Surgery and First Aid at the Univesity of Bologna, with honors. Thesis: "Readsorbable polymers in traumatology"
- 2004: Specialization in Orthopedics and Traumatology at the Univesity of Bologna, with honors. Thesis "Osteointegration of orthopedic implants in osteoporotic bone"
- 2011: II Level Master's Degree: Promotion and Government of Research in Health Structures - University of Modena and Reggio Emilia. Thesis: "Evaluation of the impact of research in Emilia-Romagna: cognitive survey on the applicability of existing models in the literature"
- 2014: National Scientific Qualification for Associate Professor in Italian Universities (competition sector 06/11: Sciences of Health and Medical Technologies)
- 2018: Higher Managerial Training Course for the management of Complex Structures, University of Bologna.
- 2018-20: Acting Deputy Director, Rizzoli RIT Department - Research, Innovation & Technology, IOR
- 2018-20: Acting Director of Complex Structure - Laboratory of Biomechanics and Technological Innovation, IOR
- From 2013: Head (and Co-Head since 2018) of the Translational Research Line of Regenerative/Reparative Medicine
- 2010-20: Head of the Simple Departmental Structure of the Preclinical and Surgical Studies Laboratory, IOR
- 2010-18: Organizational Manager, B.I.T.T.A. (Biocompatibility of Technological Innovations and Advanced Therapies), Rizzoli Department - Research, Innovation & Technology (from 2018, the activities of the B.I.T.T.A. Laboratory have been absorbed by the Laboratory of Preclinical and Surgical Studies)
- 2008-15: Deputy Director of the IOR Complex Trauma Orthopedic Pathologies Department
- 2008-10: Coordination of the Specialized Reference Center "Preclinical Evaluation of Technological and Therapeutic Innovations"
- 1999-08: Head of the Organizational Module "Control and coordination of the laboratories of Histomorphometry, Experimental Biology and Mechanical Experimental Physiopathology and management of the related technological resources"
- 2007-10: Quality Referent of the SC Preclinical and Surgical Studies Laboratory for UNI EN ISO 9001: 2000 certification
- 1999-2008: Referent of the Sectors of "Tissue Engineering" and "Histomorphometry and Microarchitecture of Biomaterials and Bone" of the Laboratory of Preclinical and Surgical Studies.
Excellent knowledge of the English language
Excellent skills in the use of Windows and Apple MacOs operating systems and Windows Office applications (Word, Power Point, Excel, Publisher). Excellent knowledge of publishing applications (Adobe) and databases such as PubMed, Scopus, Web of Science, Clinical Trials (www.clinicaltrials.gov; www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu).
a.y. 2018-19: Lecturer at the 2nd Level University Master in Regenerative Medicine for the musculoskeletal system, Humanitas University, Milan
- From 2017: Lecturer in the Permanent Microsurgery Course "Experimental and Reconstructive Microsurgery", University of Bologna
- 2013-14: Teaching activity within the PON 3a_00011 Project "Training of highly qualified personnel in the use and enhancement of research infrastructures and equipment in the field of theranostics and personalized medicine"
- aa.yy. 2006-09: Lecturer at the 2nd Level Master of Biomaterials, University of Siena
- a.y. 1996-97: Course "Surgical Anatomy and Operative Technique" - 2nd Year, School of Anatomical Drawing
- a.y. 1993-94: Course "Tissue repair and blood purification techniques" supplementary to the teaching of Emergency Surgery - 4th Year School of Specialization in Occupational Medicine, University of Bologna
- a.y. 1993-94: Adjunct Professor, Course of "Tissue physiopathology with particular regard to the skin, to the repairing processes of wounds and bedsores, to studies and instrumental evaluations of the microcirculation" supplementary to the teaching of General Surgery (post-surgical rehabilitation ) - 2nd Year School of Specialization in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Scopus Author Id: 7102081036
- ORCID ID: 0000-0002-3732-3570
- RESEARCH ID: J-4808-2016.
- IRCCS Orthopedics Network (RAMS) for "Regeneration and Reconstruction of the Locomotor System"
- IRCCS Aging Network (National Research Network on Aging and Active Longevity)
- Clust-ER Health and Wellness Industries of the Emilia-Romagna region.
- Certificate of Merit - The International Cartilage Regeneration & Joint Preservation Society (ICRS) 2019. Award for the publication: Amniotic Stem Cells (AECs) vs Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells (ADSCs): Biological treatment for osteoarthritis
- Top Scientist - Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute year 2019 (n.31 scientific publications; normalized IF: 158.6)
- Top Scientist - Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute year 2018 (n.24 scientific publications; normalized IF: 129.2)
- Top Scientist - Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute Year 2017 (n.30 scientific publications; normalized IF: 128)
- Oral Presentation Award, 13th OrtoMed Congress, Italian Society of Orthopedics, Medicine and Rare Skeletal Diseases, "Personalized Regenerative Medicine in Spinal Surgery: stem cells from the vertebral body". Florence 2018
- Best research award, 40th National Congress of the Italian Society of Spinal Surgery and Italian Scoliosis Group "Cells of the human vertebral bone marrow in toto and expanded cultured in conditions of normoxia and hypoxia: a new strategy for vertebral surgery", Naples 2017
- Best Poster Award, 4th International Conference Translational Research in Oncology "An in vitro 3D bone metastasis model by using a human bone tissue culture and human sex-related cancer cells", Meldola, Forlì (FC-Italy), 2016
- 10th World Biomaterial Congress (WBC 2016) Trainee Award for the abstract entitled "Scientific design, realization and clinical use of hyman derived dermal matrix 8HDM) in regenerative medicine, Montreal, Canada, 2016
- Best poster award Euroscicon Meeting establishing anti-aging medicine. Experimental in vitro study on the behavior of osteoclasts in osteoporosis, London 2015
- Best presentation award to the Italian Society of Neurosurgery Annual Meeting Spinal Surgery Section - Looking at the future of spine surgery based on past experience. "Biomaterials: a good alternative to autologous bone for spinal fusion", Florence 2015
- Award Biospina Prize 2011, "Biomaterials as a valid alternative to autologous and homologous bone in creating a vertebral fusion", 2012
Prevention, diagnosis and therapy of acute, chronic/degenerative, inflammatory and oncological diseases of the musculoskeletal tissues:
- Fractures and loss of bone substance
- Osteochondral lesions
- Osteoporosis and implant surgery in osteoporotic bone
- Periprosthetic osteolysis and aseptic loosening of implants
- Mechanical and biological osseointegration, osteoinduction and osteoconduction
- Osseointegrated prostheses
- Guided tissue regeneration
- Bone metastases
- Vertebral arthrodesis and biomaterials for vertebral surgery
- Artificial meniscus, regeneration of tendons and ligaments with particular reference to the Achilles tendon, anterior cruciate ligament, rotator cuff tendons
- Vascular and peripheral nervous system microsurgery
- Tissue transplants and development of decellularization techniques
- Synthetic plant biomaterials (polymeric, metal, ceramic and composite) and biological
- Scaffolds, Medical Devices (polymeric, metallic, ceramic and composite biomaterials, biologically derived biomaterials and hybrids)
- Functionalized biomaterials
- Biocompatibility (according to International Standards ISO 10993), bioactivity, biofunctionality
- Coating of surfaces and implant biomaterials
- Mesenchymal stem cells from different sources
- Growth factors (synthesis and platelet derivatives)
- Innovative diagnostic techniques.
Principal investigator nei seguenti progetti di ricerca.
The research was financed within the project F/180007/01-05/X43 approved by the Ministry of Enterprise and Made in Italy (MIMIT), Fund for Sustainable Growth – Agreements for innovation "Sciences of life", AXIS I – Investment priorities Action