Giavaresi Gianluca, MD
Assignment to replace the Director of Complex Unit Surgical Sciences and Technologies (PG. 10534 of 30/06/2022)
1990: Degree in Medicine, University of Bologna, with honors.
- 1990: Qualification for the profession of MD, School of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bologna
- 1991: Registered at the MD Bar of Bologna (n.12064)
- 1995: Postgraduate diploma in Emergency Surgery and First Aid (Title equivalent to the Postgraduate Diploma in General Surgery according to European Directive 93/16/EC), School of Medicine – University of Bologna
- 2016: II level Master in Biostatistics, School of Economics, Management and Statistics, University of Bologna.
• From 2020: Director of the Unit Omics Science Platform for Personal Orthopedics (pertaining to Complex Unit Surgical Sciences and Technologies), IOR
• 2016-20: Lab. manager of the Technological Platform for Tissue, Teranostics and Oncology Engineering
o National Head of the project PON01_00829 – Innovative Technological Platforms for Tissue Engineering;
o Head of the IOR unit for the project PON01_01059 – Development of a new technological platform for the non-invasive treatment of oncologic and infectious pathologies based on the utilization of focused ultrasounds;
o Head of the national (Training) and IOR (Enhancement) unit of the project PONa3_00011 – Structural enhancement of an excellence network for preclinical and clinical research on personalized therapy.
• From 2010: Coordinator of the Sector "Histomorphometry and Microarchitecture of Biomaterials and Bone (IMABO)" of the SSD Laboratory of Preclinical and Surgical Studies and from 2020 of the Complex Unit Surgical Sciences and Technologies
• 2009-2019: Coordinator of the Experimental Mechanical Physiopathology Sector (FMS) of the SSD Laboratory of Preclinical and Surgical Studies
• From 2000: Medical Director - General Surgery at the SSD Laboratory of Preclinical and Surgical Studies (formerly Laboratory of Experimental Surgery) and from 2020 of the Complex Unit Surgical Sciences and Technologies, IOR
• 1995-2000: Medical Researcher (temporary contract) at the Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, IOR
• 1991-95: Medical Researcher (fellowship) at the Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, IOR.
English (level C1), French (level C1) and German (level B1) according tp the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Excellent computer skills and mastery of programs for the treatment of texts and data and statistical analysis (R and SPSS), web-surfing skills.
2013-2014: Teaching to the trainees of the Project PONa3_00011 - Structural enhancement of an excellence network for preclinical and clinical research on personalized therapy.
- He is author and co-author of over 309 scientific publications (Scopus Author: 329 publications, h-index: 55, 10024 citations - 03/07/2022).
- He is reviewer of the following scientific journals: Acta Biomaterialia; Biomedical Materials; Endocrine; Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery; FEBS; Frontiers Physiology; International Journal of Molecular Sciences; Journal of Applied Biomaterials & Biomechanics; Journal of Biomedical Material Research; Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine; Journal of Cellular Physiology; Materials Science & Engineering C Tissue Engineering.
- During his career he participated to multiple projects from different grant sponsors: Italian Ministry of Health, Italian Ministry for Research and Education, European Union and private Foundations.
- Coordinator of the IOR Unit - South of the Industrial Research project and not predominantly Experimental Development, "Health" specialization area, ARS01_01205 (2020) entitled "CONTACT - CustOm-made aNTibacterical / bioActive / bioCoated prosTheses (Ministry of University and Research) .
- Collaborator in the AIRC project (MFAG 2020 - Principal Investigator: Dr. Cirino Botta) Single cell characterization of bone marrow microenvironment and gut microbiota along myeloma onset and evolution.
- Principal Investigator of the 2019 finalized research project (Ministry of Health RF-2019-12370058) entitled "Diagnostic accuracy and cost-effectiveness analysis of serum and synovial fluid markers for the diagnosis of periprosthetic hip and knee joint infections".
• Musculoskeletal degenerative diseases (eg osteoporosis, osteoarthritis)
• Oncological disorders (osteosarcoma, bone metastases, multiple myeloma)
• Regenerative medicine for bone, cartilage and tendon pathologies
• Periprosthetic and peri-implant bone infections, and osteomyelitis
• Biomaterials, biocompatibility, drug-delivery
• Osseointegration of prosthetic devices and means of synthesis
• Biophysical treatments: low and high intensity ultrasound, pulsed electromagnetic fields
• Histology, histomorphometry and microtomography for musculoskeletal tissues
• Engineering of extracellular nanovesicles
• Biomarkers from liquid biopsy for musculoskeletal pathologies (eg. MiRNA and long non coding RNA)
• Molecular biology and gene sequencing